Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Brussel Sprouts

     So I showed the w.o.m.e.n. at work my blog from yesterday and they loved it.  Also, I received an email from one of the w.o.m.e.n.'s wife (that sounds odd) - Pam's a fan, suggested I try a yoga studio in Dothan, and invited Forrest and I over for dinner and drinks one night.  She owns a Viking Range (which I'm jealous of) and went to their cooking school (even more jealousy oozing out of my ears)....hint, hint Forrest :)
    I stopped by Publix this afternoon and picked up some vegetables - squash, zucchini, red onion, anddddd brussel sprouts.  I was a little skeered about the bs - I had them once at a fancy pancy restaurant and they were delicious but I've never tried to cook them.  Speaking of cooking, my sweet hubbster volunteered to chop/roast the veggies and fluff the couscous.....
Mediterranean curry gluten-free couscous - love it!
 As usual, Salvie was lurking around in the background.
 "Veggies - check, Beer - check, what the hell is this gluten-free mess?!"
     Chop the veggies (don't forget to cut the bitter ends off the brussel sprouts), slather in extra virgin olive oil, salt / pepper, and throw in a 350 degree oven for 20 - 30 minutes.  Simple.  As for the cous, follow the directions on the box - basically, bring water to a boil, pour in cous and seasoning, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, and then fluff with a fork (my favorite part).  Dinner is served....
Perfectly roasted vegetables
Forrest did such a great job - and of course, I added Popeye leafers.
      I loved this meal and especially the brussel sprouts - can't believe I've been missing out all these years.  I'm already drooling just thinking about leftovers for lunch tomorrow.  Forrest liked this veg-cous combination and gave himself a pat on the back.
     In Salvie news - he's growing up so fast!  When we bought him, he was a tiny two pounds and now he's over five pounds - fatty, ha.  He's also shedding his baby fur for an adult coat which makes me sad...especially when I'm swiffering our floors every afternoon because of the cotton balls.  Last night before going to sleep, I took Sal out to do his bizness and he hiked his leg for the first time to take a leak - I felt like such a proud Momma.  Forrest got home from work and Sal asked him to dance.....
Side note:  Forrest might love brew but that is not a beer gut - it's just his tucked-in shirt.  He hates this picture so the least I can do is explain why he looks like he's carrying a keg around his mid-section.
     P.S. - The second issue of The Local is out and about in Dothan - grab a copy, it will cost you zero dollar bills!

4 comments:

  1. Brooke...I was glad to add your blog. I LOVE it! You're hilarious of course, but I also am so interested in your recipes. My mom's a vegetarian (leans closer to Vegan, but sneaks some cheese in every now and then) so I've told her she could learn a lot from you! :) Thanks for the sweet comments about Larkin. He's a fun kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Julia! So happy you love the blog :) I had no idea your mom was a vegetarian / vegan - it would be hard to live without a little cheese and a lot of yogurt for me. Let me know if yall try any of the recipes :) Larkin is so cute (love the name also) and I can't get over how blue his eyes are!! Next time I'm in Birmingham, we'll definitely have to meet for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey AGAIN. Quickly wanted to say, I bought this seasoned salt the other day that SMELLED so good I bought it. Even though it was 5 dollars a bottle (worth it). You've probably heard of it, seeing how you worked in Whole Foods and I got it there, but figured I'd share just in case. The lady at Murphree's market in Cahaba recommended it to me. She was cooking fresh brussel sprouts, and was going to use this seasoning. Here it is! Borsari | http://www.borsarifoods.com/index.html |

    Ps. I still haven't used it. So if you buy it and it sucks. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha - your comments always make me smile/laugh! Checked out the website and I do remember seeing the seasoning in WF - should have bought some when I got the ole employee discount! Let me know how/when you use it and if I need it in my life immediately :)

    ReplyDelete